Skip to main content

Stephen Yoo, who shirked his defense obligations, ends up on South Korean soil

▲유승준 씨 (뉴시스)
A court has ruled that singer Yoo Seung-jun (U.S. name Steve Seung-jun Yoo) should be denied a visa to enter South Korea.


On March 13, the Administrative Division 9-3 of the Seoul High Court (Chief Judge Jo Chan-young, Kim Moo-shin, and Kim Seung-joo) overturned the first trial court and ruled in favor of the plaintiff in a lawsuit against the Consulate General of the Republic of Korea in Los Angeles (LA) to cancel the denial of a passport and visa.


This is the second appeal by Mr. Yoo, a foreign national, against the Korean Consulate General in Los Angeles after he was denied a visa.


Previously, Mr. Yoo was barred from entering South Korea in 2002 after he obtained U.S. citizenship to avoid military service. At the time, the government determined that Mr. Yoo's military service evasion was excludable under the Overseas Korean Act because it was likely to harm the interests of the Republic of Korea, including the maintenance of security and order and foreign relations.


Mr. Yoo tried to enter the country on an overseas Korean visa, but was denied, and filed his first administrative case in 2015.


In 2020, the Supreme Court ruled in Yu's favor, stating that "the Consulate General in Los Angeles failed to exercise its discretion and refused to issue Yu a visa."


But the consulate continued to refuse to issue a visa. "At the time, the government believed that Mr. Yoo's desertion from military service was likely to harm the interests of the Republic of Korea, including security, order, and diplomatic relations, as defined in the Overseas Korean Act," the consulate said.


Mr. Yoo filed a second lawsuit in October 2020, arguing that the decision violated the spirit of the Supreme Court's ruling. The first instance tribunal ruled against Mr. Yu for the same reasons as the consulate general.


However, the second tribunal disagreed. "The Overseas Koreans Act was amended in 2017, and the provisions of the old Overseas Koreans Act should be applied to events that occurred prior to that time," the tribunal explained, noting that Article 5(2) of the old Overseas Koreans Act states, "This shall not be the case when a foreign national who falls under the first or second category reaches the age of 38."


This provision was amended in 2017 to raise the threshold from 38 to 41 years of age, and the Consulate General refused to issue Mr. Yu a visa based on this reasoning, but the Court of Appeals ruled that the old Overseas Koreans Act should be applied as of 2015, the date of the application, and that "unless there are special circumstances, the status of residence should be granted.


READ THE ARTICLE


READ THE KOREAN VERSION

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Japan Meteorological Agency lists Dokdo as Japanese territory on weather map for Typhoon No. 7 Lan

▲일본 기상청에 표기된 독도. 사진제공=서경덕 교수 The Japan Meteorological Agency has sparked controversy for labeling Dokdo as Japanese territory on a weather map of Typhoon No. 7. On the 16th, Seo Kyung-duk, a professor at Sungshin Women's University, sent a protest email to the Japan Meteorological Agency through social networking services (SNS), demanding that the agency correct its mistake of labeling Dokdo as Japanese land. "The Japan Meteorological Agency has always labeled Dokdo as '竹島' (Takeshima), and we have been protesting against this for three years. The biggest problem is that many Japanese netizens visit the Japan Meteorological Agency's website during typhoon and tsunami warnings, which can create a false perception of Dokdo," he said. "In this protest email, we said, 'This is a clear territorial provocation. Dokdo is an undisputed territory of the Republic of Korea under historical, geographical, and international law." Professor Seo said that not o...

MLB requests IDs for 'Brother-in-law-sister's husband' Lee Jung-hoo and Go Woo-seok...US stage challenge in full swing

  ▲김하성(왼쪽)과 이정후가 13일 잠실구장에서 열린 LG와 KT 한국시리즈 5차전을 관전하고 있다. 연합뉴스 Major League Baseball (MLB) has requested the identities of Lee Jung-hoo (25) and Ko Woo-seok (25), who are brother-in-law and sister-in-law. The Korean Baseball Organization (KBO) announced on Friday that it had received a request from the MLB office to check the identities of Lee Jeong-hoo and Ko Woo-seok the day before, and that the players were informed today that they belong to Kiwoom and LG, respectively. A background check request from the MLB office is the first step for an MLB club to sign a player. The two players have played at least seven regular seasons, ending this season, and are eligible to move to overseas leagues through the posting system with the consent of their clubs. Lee previously announced his intention to play in the major leagues after this season. His team, Kiwoom, accepted. The local media is also showing high interest in their signing. On the 10th, ESPN, an American sports channel, ranked L...

'Gangnam-daero 3 hamburgers'...'juicy' makes the wait worth it Five Guys

   Customers wait in line to place orders at a Five Guys store on Gangnam-daero, Seocho-gu, Seoul, on Nov. 28. (Reporter Koo Ye-ji sunrise@) Five Guys, one of America's top three burgers, has landed in Korea, sparking a burger war on Gangnam-daero in Seocho-gu, Seoul. Five Guys is fighting for 'American taste', Shake Shack for localization, and Superduper for fresh meat. At 9:30 a.m. on the 28th, an hour and a half before the store opened, there were already 117 teams lined up out front. With the introduction of tabling (a remote queuing application), there were no long lines like on the first day. After a long wait, we were able to enter the store at 12:10pm. On the 27th, the second day of opening, the line started at 11:44am and I entered the store at 2:54pm. I ordered a burger from Five Guys in Korea and compared it to the Five Guys burger, Shake Shack, and Superduper signature items I tried in New York City in January. The Five Guys burger comes with eight veggies, incl...